Monday, January 13

A poem by Cranky Old Man




Cranky Old Man 
What do you see nurses? . . .. . .
What do you see?
 What are you thinking .. . 
when you're looking at me?

 A cranky old man,
 . . . . . .not very wise, 
Uncertain of habit .. . . . . . . .. with faraway eyes? 
Who dribbles his food .. . ... . . and makes no reply. 
When you say in a loud voice . .'I do wish you'd try!' 
Who seems not to notice . . .the things that you do. 
And forever is losing . . . . . .. . . A sock or shoe? 
Who, resisting or not . . . ... lets you do as you will, 
With bathing and feeding . . . .The long day to fill? 
Is that what you're thinking?. 
Is that what you see?
 Then open your eyes, nurse .
you're not looking at me. I'll tell you who I am . . . . .. 

As I sit here so still, 
As I do at your bidding,
 .. . . . as I eat at your will.
 I'm a small child of Ten . .with a father and mother, 
Brothers and sisters .. . . .. . who love one another 
A young boy of Sixteen . . . .. with wings on his feet
 Dreaming that soon now . . .. . . 

a lover he'll meet.
 A groom soon at Twenty . . . ..my heart gives a leap. 
Remembering, the vows .. .. .that I promised to keep.
 At Twenty-Five, now . . . . .I have young of my own. 
Who need me to guide . . . And a secure happy home.
 A man of Thirty . .. . . . . My young now grown fast, 
Bound to each other . . .. With ties that should last. 
At Forty, my young sons .. .have grown and are gone, 
But my woman is beside me . . to see I don't mourn. 
At Fifty, once more, .. ...Babies play 'round my knee, 
Again, 
we know children . . . . 

My loved one and me. 
Dark days are upon me . . . . 
My wife is now dead. 
I look at the future ... . . . . 
I shudder with dread.
 For my young are all rearing .. . . young of their own. 
And I think of the years . . . 
And the love that I've known.
 I'm now an old man . . . . . . .. and nature is cruel.
 It's jest to make old age . . . . . . . look like a fool. 
The body, 
it crumbles .. .. . grace and vigor, depart. 
There is now a stone . . . where I once had a heart.
But inside this old carcass . 
A young man still dwells, 
And now and again . . . . . my battered heart swells

 I remember the joys . . . . .. . 
I remember the pain. 
And I'm loving and living . . . . . . . 
life over again. 
I think of the years
all too few . . .. gone too fast. 
And accept the stark fact . . . that nothing can last. 
So open your eyes, people .. . . . .. . . open and see. 
Not a cranky old man . Look closer . . . . see .. .. . .. .... . ME!





ps : At my twenty. What will happen at my fifty? 







No comments: